Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Camotes


Obligatory Beautiful Sunset, Mangodlong, Camotes


As I mentioned a few entries ago, Brendan and I spent Double Ten weekend back in the Philippines. I haven't posted about it because I have been too lazy to upload my photos until now. We went to the Camotes, which is relevant to Taiwan in approximately zero ways...

...well, maybe one.

Many people who find themselves based in Taiwan are interested in visiting neighboring countries such as China, Japan and - yes - the Philippines. Writing about our time there is a bit of information that can help people get a feel for the place if they haven't been to Southeast Asia before. What I love about the place, though, is that it's totally unlike the rest of SE Asia. It's been influenced more by Western colonialism (English is an effortless second language for most Filipinos and the country is overwhelmingly Christian) and Oceanic cultural norms than the rest of the SE Asian subcontinent.

Oh, and the beaches are better.

I'll write more about the trip later; we have to get up early tomorrow and I have to go to bed soon. But here are some photos:


Danao (Cebu Island) Coral Stone Church




Sunset on Pacijan Island




Little Girl Who Laughed - Then Cried (Danao)



Adorable Kid on a Banca (motorized passenger boat)



Mangodlong Rock Resort - Pacijan Island



Kids and a Bike, Danao



Kids Behind a Fence, Tulag Island



Grandmother, Tulag Island




Tulag Island Village



More Tulag Island



Green Lake Flowers



Green Lake Tree



Altavista View, Poro Island




Two Boaters, Mangodlong, Pacijan Island
(This isn't a very good photo from a technical point of view, but I am drawn to it. I don't know why I like it so much.)

1 comment:

cagayan de oro resorts said...

Camotes Island is a great place to get some R&R, unlike in Boracay, this place is pretty much calm and laid-back which makes it perfect. Beaches are equally great and there is more to it that just beaches, the island has an underwater cave in which a quick dip will surely cool you off and a lake area which is perfect for picnics and just spend one lazy afternoon.